NFL Power Rankings Betting
The most common way to judge teams in any sport is by using power rankings. You’ll find power rankings for any of the major sports on every big website, and there are more NFL power rankings available than any other sport due to its popularity in the American consciousness. You can use power rankings to just group teams on a basic level, or if you want to go in depth you can use quantitative analysis to influence your opinion on each week’s NFL betting lines.
NFL Power Rankings
1. Kansas City Chiefs – The Chiefs just got past the Cleveland Browns in the Divisional round to advance to the AFC Championship Game against the Buffalo Bills, but Patrick Mahomes suffered a head injury and is questionable for this week’s game. Whether or not the Chiefs are able to play in their second straight Super Bowl may come down to whether or not Mahomes is cleared for Sunday’s AFC title game against the Bills.
2. Green Bay Packers – The Packers are the top seed in the NFC and they looked every bit the part last week in a win over the Rams in the Divisional round. The Packers will be playing at home in the NFC Championship Game for the first time since Aaron Rodgers has been the quarterback. All of their previous title games with Rodgers were played on the road.
The Packers get a tough test in the NFC title game against Tom Brady and the Bucs.
3. Buffalo Bills – The Bills looked very impressive last week in the Divisional Round as they took out the Baltimore Ravens. The Bills are actually the hottest team in the NFL, having won eight straight, but now they have to go into Kansas City and find a way to beat the Chiefs. They would get a huge break if the Chiefs are without Mahomes, but regardless, the Bills have a potent offense led by Josh Allen that can put a lot of points on the board.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – The Bucs had some early struggles against New Orleans but the Tampa defense was able to intercept Drew Brees three times and Tampa Bay turned each of those picks into points. The Bucs were actually one of the few teams to beat Green Bay in the regular season, but winning at Lambeau in the playoffs won’t be easy.
4. New Orleans Saints – The Saints couldn’t get enough out of an aging Drew Brees to get past Tampa Bay in the Divisional Round and it looks like the Super Bowl window for the Saints has closed. There are reports that Brees will retire and that means a new quarterback under center next season in New Orleans.
6. Baltimore Ravens – The Ravens think they have a franchise quarterback in Lamar Jackson and while there is no question that Jackson is exciting, there is also no doubt that he doesn’t win in the playoffs. Jackson did get the monkey off his back by beating Tennessee in this year’s playoffs, but he then played poorly in a loss to Buffalo to end Baltimore’s season.
7. Cleveland Browns – The Browns nearly pulled off a major upset and beat Kansas City in the Divisional round, but they couldn’t make enough plays and couldn’t take advantage of Kansas City missing Patrick Mahomes for much of the second half. Cleveland made some good strides in 2020, so at least the future is bright for the Browns heading into 2021.
8. Los Angeles Rams – The Rams had the top defense in the league, but they couldn’t stop Aaron Rodgers and the Packers in the Divisional round of the playoffs. The Rams have some major questions to answer in the offseason beginning at quarterback, as head coach Sean McVay did not give Jared Goff a vote of confidence heading into next season.
9. Seattle Seahawks – The Seahawks couldn’t find a way to beat the Rams in the playoffs and it ended up being another disappointing season for Seattle. Anytime a team wins 12 games and goes out in the first round, the season has to be considered a disappointment.
10. Tennessee Titans – The Titans couldn’t find a way to beat Lamar Jackson and the Ravens and they ended up losing in the Wild Card round of the playoffs. The Titans have huge problems on defense that will have to be addressed in the off-season if they are to take the next step.
11. Pittsburgh Steelers – The Steelers were overrated almost all season and they were bounced out in the Wild Card round of the playoffs by the Cleveland Browns. Pittsburgh has major questions at quarterback, as Ben Roethlisberger looks to be on his last legs.
12. Indianapolis Colts – The Colts had a good defense early in the season, but that defense failed them in the playoffs, as they couldn’t contain Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills. The Colts got decent play out of Philip Rivers in 2020 but how much confidence can they have in an aging quarterback going forward?
13. Chicago Bears – The Bears backed their way into the playoffs in 2020 and they were bounced out by New Orleans in the Wild Card round. Chicago has major problems to address on both sides of the ball if they are to make the playoffs next season.
14. Washington Football Team – Washington made the playoffs in 2020 by winning the rotten NFC East and they were competitive against Tampa Bay in the Wild Card game, but they didn’t have enough offense to win. Washington has a huge question at quarterback going forward that will need to be decided in the off-season.
15. Miami Dolphins – The Dolphins had everything in their control and yet they couldn’t beat Buffalo in the season finale to make the playoffs. The Dolphins are counting on Tua as their franchise quarterback but he didn’t inspire a lot of confidence this season.
16. Arizona Cardinals – The Cardinals didn’t make the playoffs under head coach Kliff Kingsbury in 2020 and there is no reason to think that is going to change going forward. Kingsbury is not a good head coach and there are still questions as to whether Kyler Murray is a franchise quarterback.
17. Las Vegas Raiders – The Raiders found ways to lose too many games in 2020 and they missed the playoffs. It has become obvious that Jon Gruden still doesn’t get that the NFL in 2020 is not the same as it was 20 years ago.
18. Philadelphia Eagles – The Eagles could have played spoiler against Washington in the regular season finale, but head coach Doug Pederson decided to throw the game and put in Nate Sudfeld at quarterback in the fourth quarter in place of Jalen Hurts and the Eagles lost. That decision and some other questionable moves cost Pederson his job, as the Eagles will have a new head coach in 2021.
19. New England Patriots – The Patriots missed the playoffs this season under head coach Bill Belichick. What hurts almost as much is that Tom Brady made the playoffs with Tampa Bay.
20. Minnesota Vikings – The question with the Vikings is whether or not Mike Zimmer will return. Minnesota’s defense under Zimmer was a disgrace this season and Zimmer is supposed to be a defensive coach.
21. Los Angeles Chargers – The Chargers showed some life this season with Justin Herbert at quarterback. The team will have a new head coach next season as Anthony Lynn was fired and the team brought in Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley as the new head coach.
22. Dallas Cowboys – The Cowboys were a major disappointment this season under Mike McCarthy but most people are giving him a pass since Dallas played much of the season without quarterback Dak Prescott.
23. San Francisco 49ers – The 49ers couldn’t overcome their multitude of injuries in 2020, but San Francisco should have everyone back for 2021 and the 49ers should be among the favorites once again.
24. New York Giants - The Giants showed a little bit of promise late in the season and most people are optimistic that the team will be vastly improved next season with a healthy Saquon Barkley and a young and talented defense.
25. Atlanta Falcons – The Falcons found new ways to lose this season but they have a new head coach who hopes to turn things around. Atlanta hired Tennessee offensive coordinator Arthur Smith as their new head man.
26. Detroit Lions – The Lions were a mess under Matt Patricia and things didn’t get much better under interim head coach Darrell Bevell. Detroit will have a new head coach next season but it may not matter.
27. Denver Broncos – The Broncos still have to figure out if they have a franchise quarterback in Drew Lock. Denver may not have much choice but to give Lock another season under center, but so far, his production has been inconsistent at best.
28. Carolina Panthers – The Panthers showed some heart under head coach Matt Rhule this season and they could be improved next season with a healthy Christian McCaffrey.
29. Houston Texans – The Texans will have a new head coach next season and he will have some talent to work with. Houston still has Deshaun Watson under center and J.J. Watt on defense.
30. Cincinnati Bengals – The Bengals didn’t quit this season even after losing quarterback Joe Burrow. There are some good pieces in place for Cincinnati and it may not be long before the Bengals are a playoff contender.
31. New York Jets – The Jets did themselves no favors by winning a couple of games and losing out on Trevor Lawrence. The Jets finally made a good decision and fired head coach Adam Gase, replacing him with San Francisco defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars – The Jaguars finished with the worst record in the NFL this season, but there is huge optimism in Jacksonville, as the Jaguars are expected to take Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence with the first pick in the NFL Draft and they hired former Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer.
NFL Regular Season Schedule
Log into BookMaker Sportsbook and get the best NFL Betting Odds, NFL Betting Articles and information about this and all other sports betting events!