A total of 20 horses will go to the post for the 2023 Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 6 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. The Kentucky Derby can be a good race for longshots because anything can happen when 20 horses battle for position. The morning line favorite for the 149th running of the Kentucky Derby is Forte at odds of 3-1. Following closely on the morning line odds is Tapit Trice at odds of 5-1. Post time for the 2023 Kentucky Derby on Saturday is 6:57 p.m. Eastern on NBC. Let’s look at the Kentucky Derby field and Kentucky Derby longshots.
Kentucky Derby Betting Lines
2023 Kentucky Derby Field
(Post Position, Horse, Trainer, Jockey, Morning Line Odds)
1. Hit Show, Brad Cox, Manny Franco, 30-1
2. Verifying, Brad Cox, Tyler Gaffalione, 15-1
3. Two Phil’s, Larry Rivelli, Jareth Loveberry, 12-1
4. Confidence Game, Keith Desormeaux, James Graham, 20-1
5. Tapit Trice, Todd Pletcher, Luis Saez, 5-1
6. Kingsbarns, Todd Pletcher, Jose Ortiz, 12-1
7. Reincarnate, Tim Yakteen, John Velazquez, 50-1
8. Mage, Gustavo Delgado, Javier Castellano, 15-1
9. Skinner, John Shirreffs, Juan Hernandez, 20-1
10. Practical Move, Tim Yakteen, Ramon Vazquez, 10-1
11. Disarm, Steve Asmussen, Joel Rosario, 30-1
12 Jace’s Road, Brad Cox, Florent Geroux, 15-1
13. Sun Thunder, Kenny McPeek, Brian Hernandez Jr., 50-1
14. Angel of Empire, Brad Cox, Flavien Prat, 8-1
15. Forte, Todd Pletcher, Irad Ortiz Jr., 3-1
16. Raise Cain, Ben Colebrook, Gerardo Corrales, 50-1
17. Derma Sotogake, Hidetaka Otonashi, Christophe Lemaire, 10-1
18. Rocket Can, Bill Mott, Junior Alvarado, 30-1
19. Lord Miles, Saffie Joseph Jr., Paco Lopez, 30-1
20. Continuar, Yoshito Yahagi, Ryusei Sakai, 50-1
Kentucky Derby Longshots
A total of 10 horses are listed at odds of 20-1 or more for the 2022 Kentucky Derby. We won’t consider any of the other ten horses who are listed at odds of less than 20-1. If you read our Kentucky Derby picks article you will see that we are high on Forte, Tapit Trice and Practical Move. While I like those three horses, anything can happen when a field of 20 horses battles for position. I also listed Derma Sotogake as a possible longshot, but that horse is listed at odds of 10-1 and in this article, we are only looking at horses with Kentucky Derby odds of 20-1 or more.
There are three horses we are taking as Derby longshots in this article. They are Skinner and Confidence Game at 20-1 and Disarm at 30-1. Skinner is a son of Curlin and he has a win and three third places finishes in four starts. He is trained by John Shirreffs and he could be in the mix on Saturday.
Confidence Game won the Rebel on a sloppy track. He has three wins, a second, and two thirds in seven starts. He will be ridden by Keith Desormeaux. The horse is said to be training really well for this race and he could surprise.
My favorite Kentucky Derby longshot among the horses mentioned is Disarm at odds of 30-1. He has a win, two seconds and a third in four career starts. He is trained by Steve Asmusssen and ridden by Joel Rosario. He finished second in the Louisiana Derby and third in the Lexington. Asmussen said that Disarm should be much better in the Derby than he was in the Lexington. It is worth noting that Disarm had the fastest five-furlong workout at Churchill Downs.
Kentucky Derby Longshot Picks
The Kentucky Derby can be unpredictable and if the two favorites falter or run into trouble, then anything can happen. Disarm is listed at odds of 30-1 on the morning line and I think he will take a nice step forward and be in the mix. I also give Skinner and Confidence Game a chance to get up into the money. These three horses could be horses that you want to put into your exotic tickets for Saturday’s Kentucky Derby.
Access live betting lines from your mobile device at BookMaker Sportsbook! Real-time spreads, totals, props, and money lines are all available so start betting with BookMaker today.
Check out the latest odds at BookMaker